Wednesday, September 17, 2008
On My Hearth: Anytime Turkey Chili
I'll be doing the prep work for this chili this morning and then letting my slow cooker do the rest of the work while I'm at the office. Since I don't have any leftover turkey I'll be using ground turkey breast instead.
Anytime Turkey Chili
PREP 15 min.
COOK 75 min.
TOTAL 90 min.
* 2/3 cup chopped sweet onion
* 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
* 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
* 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
* 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup water
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper, oregano, garlic and cumin in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in the beans, pumpkin, tomatoes, broth, water, brown sugar, chili powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add turkey; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).