Friday, September 5, 2008

Rainy Day in the Kitchen


It's pouring down rain here thanks to Hanna so the planned day of sailing is out of the question. Instead, Beren went to work for a few hours, I dropped Jackson off at the vet to get neutered (poor baby!) and then I intend to do some cooking.

First, comfort food in the way of Tuna Noodle Casserole. I won't be indulging in this (well, maybe just a bite) but it's one of Lily's favorites so she'll enjoy it.



Campbell's Tuna Noodle Casserole

Prep/Cook Time: 40 minutes

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's® Cream of Mushroom or 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. chopped pimiento (optional)
1 cup cooked peas
2 cans (about 6 oz. each) tuna, drained and flaked
2 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles
2 tbsp. dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp. margarine, melted


MIX soup, milk, pimiento, peas, tuna and noodles in 1 1/2-qt. casserole. Bake at 400 F. for 20 min. or until hot. Stir.

MIX bread crumbs with margarine and sprinkle on top. Bake 5 min.

Makes 4 servings


Then, some spaghetti sauce. Kali and I have an idea for Yule gifts (shh...) that includes homemade pasta sauce, so I'm going to experiment with this recipe from the Soprano's Family Cookbook. It sounds so easy and a great way to use up the abundance of basil in my herb garden. I haven't made my own "gravy" in years and since the old family recipe included meat that just won't do for my veggie-loving kids. If we love it, I'm going to try my hand at canning for the first time, just bought a Ball Starter Kit and am a bit intimidated but hope I can manage it!

Marinara Sauce
(Tomato Sauce)

Makes about 3 cups

2 large garlic cloves, lightly smashed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 pounds very ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, or one 28-ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
Salt
8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces

In a large skillet, cook the garlic in the olive oil over medium heat, pressing it occasionally with the back of a spoon, until golden, about 4 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the sauce is thick, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the tomatoes. Stir in the basil leaves.

Serve over hot cooked spaghetti or other pasta.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I cannot think of a more perfect Christmas gift from you than something you created. All of your friends and family will love it!

Hanna is beating up on you and we hear that Ike is heading our way. It does keep things interesting though! Have you ever read that story of the 1902 Galveston hurricane? It is amazing and freightening at the same time. Makes me so glad that we can predict the storms now ..unlike then.

Rapunzel said...

Julie, hope you're doing ok there!