Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Know You're Strong

About 5 years ago I was going through some very rough times; my 16 year marriage was ending, my eldest daughter was heading off to college, the big 4-0 was right around the corner..my life was in turmoil and I didn't know what my future held. The picket fence was falling down all around me, I was totally overwhelmed. So, when the kids went off to school each morning I would crawl back into bed and take comfort in the darkness. I'd lie there, alternating between sleeping and crying, for hours. Friends would call and invite me to lunch, I'd beg off. All I wanted to do was lie there in the cool white sheets and escape. I felt completely alone, shut everyone out..well, almost everyone. There were two souls who would not be ignored, refused to abandon me no matter how much I wanted that solitude. These two black four-footed friends climbed into bed with me every morning and stayed there. They cuddled and purred, watched over me and kept me company during some of the darkest moments of my life. I am eternally grateful to those little angels for the part they had in saving me, for cheering me up when everything seemed hopeless, for bringing the pieces of ribbon and little mouse toys into bed, making me laugh when all I wanted to do was cry.

Of course, you know that I got through that terrible time, and am a stronger, wiser woman as a result. My life is so much better now, full of passion and love. I've never forgotten the friends who helped me through those days, though, both two-legged and four. So when Kali introduced me to this song a couple years ago, I embraced it as my very own theme song for that time of my life.



I'm not sure if there really is a cat named Virtue or if the a member of the Weakerthans had an experience such as mine, but the lyrics ring so true, I just have to share them here.

So, thank you again, Salem and Jezebel..thank you for believing that I was strong, and for being there with me until I figured it out myself.


12 comments:

Helena S. said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I just wrote something about animal spirits that may comfort you.

My dogs were my closest friends too through difficult times and I'm also eternally grateful to them.

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

What a fabulous song, both the lyrics, music and the video - loved the ASL interpreter!

I Know You're Strong too - sending all the love I can muster for the loss you must handle... virtuously... <3

ELLIE said...

what a beautiful tribute and story - thanks for sharing it all!
-Ellie

Rapunzel said...

Helena, thank you so much, I will pop over to your blog and take a peek.

Rapunzel said...

Susan, thank you, my dear friend! Your confidence and friendship, of course, mean the world to me!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you so much, Ellie.

kim said...

They teach us the true meaning of unconditional love.

Teacats said...

A truly sad sad loss ....


Jan at Rosemary Cottage

linda said...

I was just reading of your loss and this breaks my heart. Isn't it strange how our 4 legged friends so often know what we need? Many hugs for you, dear girl.

Rapunzel said...

thank you so much for all of your cyber hugs and condolences, it means so much.

Deb said...

Hi ~ I spent quite a while reading past posts and catching up since I have been MIA for a while. You have been doing some powerful writing as you confront the changes which you have been dealing with - I could relate to many of them. When my dog passed away I was not prepared for the heartache I felt and for the tears I shed. My thoughts are with you.

Rapunzel said...

Deb, thank you so very much.