Friday, October 31, 2008

A Samhain Feast



Last night I gathered round my family for an early Samhain dinner and ritual, thought this year more than ever we needed to connect to the spirit world and to each other.
While I had planned a more formal ritual, my girls thought it a bit intense so I'll save it to do by myself this evening.

I was so fortunate that all of my daughters were available for dinner, also joining us was Bambi's beau who had never taken part in our Sabbat celebrations before. Poor dear, he ended up sitting right next to the table setting reserved for the spirits who were invited to visit..grin...he was a bit unnerved but handled it quite well! At the end he thanked me graciously for including him so that he could learn about a new culture. You are quite welcome, dear boy, I trust that you'll be back for the next one.

Because I planned this little event at the last minute, the menu was not quite as extensive as I would've liked, but everything came together quite nicely and everyone enjoyed the simple feast. (I believe Kevin had three servings of soup!)



After we stuffed ourselves on Four Cheese Potato Soup (I promise there were no spiders in there!) served in a Bread Bowl, wine, ale, we headed out to the patio for the spiritual part of the evening.

Because this is the Witches New Year, we consider it a time of deep reflection, an occasion to put aside the "ghosts" from the past year. With this in mind, I had everyone write down on paper those things that were haunting them from the past year, problems and issues, whatever they wanted to be free of for the coming year. I was pleased at how seriously everyone took this task, how much thought they put into what they scribbled on their bits of paper. When we were all done, we headed out to the chiminea where Beren had a roaring fire going already. In turn each of us stood before the flames, read each script and shared aloud what was written, if we chose to. Keeping it private was of course an option, the important part was the intent. Once read, we tossed those "ghosts" into the fire, never to be seen again. I closed the ritual with a "So mote it be" and we continued on with dessert! Frozen Pumpkin Pie was especially tasty eaten poolside, a tiny nip in the air, candles flickering all around.

A lovely early Samhain celebration, I am so ready for the New Year!

Blessed Be,

11 comments:

Teacats said...

Sounds like a wonderful party -- and food sounded divine! Brightest blessings on to you and all in your household and this New Year too! Nothing formal happening here tonight -- just dressing up, passing out candy and popping next door for their party!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Catherine said...

Blessed Samhain, dear friend!

Helena S. said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend halloween or samhain. Thank you for the interesting explanation too. I didn't know all those details about samhain. :-)

Jen said...

Blessings for your New Year!

Happy Halloween!

ELLIE said...

sounds like a perfect evening and a great way to celebrate!!
Blessings always
Ellie

silverneurotic said...

It sounds like a fun celebration. The food sounds devine.

www.silverneurotic.weebly.com

Rapunzel said...

Jan, how was the party?

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Catherine; a Blessed Samhain to you as well! xoxoxo

Rapunzel said...

Helena, you are quite welcome!

Rapunzel said...

Jen, Blessings to you!

Rapunzel said...

Silver and Ellie, Blessings to you both!