Sunday, November 30, 2008

Anti-Black Friday


Southampton Shopping Spree!, originally uploaded by Emerald2810.

To continue my family's Green Christmas experiment this year, Kali posted the following blog/invite, I'll be posting pics of the big event later this evening!

There's a reason your mom still hangs on to that picture frame made of painted macaroni.

Offset your consumer footprint by creating and recycling. Save some cash by DIY. Enjoy a guilt-free escape from spending the day in crowded stores. Learn a new skill and enjoy the company of fellow artists, crafters, subersives, poor folks and agoraphobics. There is no end to the list of reasons you should show up either Friday or Sunday or both to the BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND CRAFTING SPREE!

Friday's party will be held at K's house in the City. Sunday's party will be held at M's house in the Suburbs. On both days, materials will be made available for ceramics, drawing/painting/collage, resin casting, screen printing and button making. Sunday there will also be power tools for any of your woodworking project needs.

Please bring some craft supplies and/or party supplies (food/drink) as a contribution.

Also feel free to bring all your craft stuff, bring whatever you're working on, bring something you want to demo, bring stuff you want to get rid of, bring anything that's sitting around your house!



P.S. As promised, some pics from both Black Friday Crafty Weekend Events:




10 comments:

Annie I. said...

Green Christmas, that's great! Although I'm hoping for a white one here... :-)

I'm also giving mostly recycled gifts this year. They're as good as new and things that people actually need. And if they don't need them they can give them forward.

I really hate the Christmas being concentrated around presents. I think it should be a peaceful holiday, free of materialism.

PS. I started a new blog (used to be hot mama)

Jen said...

We stayed home on Black Friday. I don't have a need to go out in the madness just to get more *stuff*.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

Rapunzel said...

Annie, I agree about the focus; we are doing our best to make the holiday more about family & friends and less about the "stuff."

Rapunzel said...

Jen, good for you! It's just too, too, much!

Catherine said...

Hey! Looks like you had fun....I think we'll be doing green and WHITE holidays here

jan said...

I am so jealous that I missed this! :-) John and I lie awake at night and discuss how we refuse to feel guilty about not spending major cash for Christmas. Your way of attacking the dilemma is absolutely splendid.

Sorrow said...

the photo alone..at the top I LOVE!
have never been that gal
will never be that gal
but I have a few females
that are that gal!
and it makes me giggle just to think of it!
hope your dead bird day was good!

Rapunzel said...

Sorrow, I have never been that girl, either, lol!

Rapunzel said...

Jan, good for you for not giving in! I wish we'd thought of this years ago but, honestly, it wouldn't have gone over nearly as well when my kids were small.

Rapunzel said...

Catherine, wish we could have a white Christmas but the closest we'd get is the beige sand on the beach, lol!