Thursday, November 6, 2008

On My Hearth: Newlywed Hamburger Casserole


Ok, so I'm far from being a newlywed..grin...but this dish is totally in Beren's honor! The man loves..ahem...fried, fatty food and I try so hard to encourage healthy eating. But now & then I give in and make him some stick-to-your-ribs midwestern casserole like my Mama used to make! This one is actually very close to a recipe my Aunt gave my Mom years ago, a nice hearty meal that'll put a smile on my meat lovin' man's face!

Now, to make this a bit healthier and veggie friendly, I'm going to split the recipe in two, making half of it with veggie crumbles in lieu of beef. I'm also using the 99% fat free condensed soups; yeah, it's still chock full of convenience food but it's ok now & then, right? Since I have nearly everything on hand it's also going to be a nice it's-almost-payday thrifty meal as well.


* Exported from MasterCook *

"Newlywed" Hamburger Casserole with French Fried Onions

Recipe By :BamaKathy
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Beef Casseroles

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb ground chuck
1 medium onion -- diced
1 medium bell pepper -- diced
1 jar sliced mushrooms -- (4 ounce) drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup -- (10 3/4 ounce)
1 can French-fried onions -- (3 ounce)
1 bag egg noodles -- (8 ounce) cooked and drained
salt and pepper

In skillet, saute meat, onion, and bell pepper until vegetables are tender and meat is browned. Drain.

Combine with noodles, salt, pepper, mushrooms and mushroom soup in 2 quart casserole.

Cover and bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Remove from oven, uncover, and pour french fried onions over top.

Return to oven, uncovered for five minutes.


Source:
"http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/print?id=104653"
Start to Finish Time:
"0:45"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 391 Calories; 26g Fat (61.4% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 95mg Cholesterol; 340mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : A friend gave me this recipe as a newlywed. Through the last thirty years, it has become a favorite of our family, our new son-in-laws, and our friends. It sounds simple, but is so tasty!

6 comments:

ELLIE said...

this really sounds delicious- I saved this one - thanks for sharing it!
Peace--Ellie

Rapunzel said...

Ellie, let me know how you like it!

linda said...

this is like my old tuna cass. recipe excepting substitute the tuna (canned) and the onion rings for potato chips... voila!! my family has always loved it and so do I! lol!

Jen said...

This sounds really good. I bet my kids would love it. Thanks!

Rapunzel said...

Linda, guess what we had last night? LOL! Yep, your tuna casserole recipe! I'm posting it next. :-)

linda said...

hi dearie, you did, did you??? I cannot wait to see how you liked it! I don't think it can be beat for that homemade mom's casserole taste! Makes my mouth water just to think of it but I haven't made it in years because of the caloric count being through the moon....sigh....why is it that all good things are fattening??