Thursday, February 19, 2009

On My Hearth: Spicy Cowgirl Soup


It's tax season again, and that means longer hours for me at work and less energy to prepare meals. So, I'm dragging out my slowcooker once again and throwing together this easy, tasty bean soup. It's supposed to get chilly here again tonight so this recipe will be perfect!

I'm adding some veggie crumbles for more protein, serving the chiles on the side because my family doesn't enjoy quite as much spice as I do, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese will also cool it off a bit!

Since this recipe consists of mostly canned items, I'll serve a big fresh salad on the side and maybe some corn bread to round out the meal.

Spicy Cowgirl Soup

1 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, or diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (11 ounce) can Mexicorn, drained
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar if desired.

2 comments:

Karla said...

I'm printing this one out! It sounds like a keeper.

kim said...

Mmmmm! Sounds nummy!!