Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On My Hearth: Comfort Food


As often happens, today I'm turning toward the kitchen to lift my lagging spirit. Since it's the end of the month and the food budget tight, I'm scouring my pantry and freezer, using up bits of this 'n that to make complete meals. They won't be gourmet or always super-healthy, but it'll fill our tummies and stretch our dollars just a bit further until payday. Also, we have Beren's girls with us this whole week and, well, let's just say they are not as adventurous eaters as the rest of us so I plan accordingly.

We stocked up on Velveeta when it was BOGO a while back so we'll be having mac & cheese as a side dish to turkey meatloaf (my own recipe I throw together), and green bean casserole using leftovers. I also found 3 lone cupcakes in the freezer and a couple scoops of frosting in the fridge, will let the kids fight over them. *grin*

Here's the super-easy M & C recipe; I told you it wasn't healthy but sooo yummy!

Velveeta Mac 'n' Cheese

* 2 tbsp. butter
* 1 lb. Velveeta pasteurized process cheese spread, cubed
* 1/2 c. milk
* 2 c. (7 oz.) elbow macaroni, cooked, drained

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter & milk together, add Velveeta cheese spread and stir until Velveeta is melted. Stir in macaroni; spoon into 2-quart casserole. Bake 15 minutes. Garnish as desired (I like to top mine with bread crumbs). Makes 6 servings. Prep time: 15 minutes. Cooking time: 15 minutes.


4 comments:

Deb said...

Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food!

Jen said...

Oh yum! Now I'm craving mac & cheese. Thanks a lot!

kim said...

I love the photo! Poor baby..!

Our Red House said...

What is Velveeta cheese? Is it like cream cheese? I've seen it in American recipes before but it's not sold here.

Kate