Monday, June 29, 2009

On My Hearth: Seven-Layer Gratin


I found a wonderful new-to-me farmers market the other day, the only locally-grown farm in my area! The owner, Sheila, was such a sweetheart, gave us wonderful personal attention (and samples!) and information about her produce. Everything was so beautiful and fresh, I could've loaded down my car with goodies! I scooped up some gorgeous zucchini which I can't wait to use in this casserole tonight.

To make it vegetarian, I'll be substituting Boca crumbles for the ground turkey and to lighten it up, reduced-fat cheese.


Seven-Layer Gratin

6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 50 minutes

Ingredients

* 3 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
* 1 yellow squash, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
* 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 can (8.5 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained
* 1 scallion, trimmed and minced
* 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
* 3/4 cup light cream
* 1/2 pound ground turkey
* 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350°. In large bowl, mix zucchini, yellow squash, 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs, sage, flour, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper. In blender, puree artichoke hearts, scallion, 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese, 1/4 cup of the cream, the remaining salt and a pinch of pepper.

2. Spread one-third of the squash mixture over bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Spread half of the artichoke puree over squash. Top with half of the turkey. Repeat layering; top with the remaining squash mixture.

3. Toss together the remaining 1 cup Swiss cheese, remaining bread crumbs and the Parmesan. Sprinkle evenly over gratin. Drizzle with the remaining 1/2 cup light cream.

4. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until squash is tender and top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I look forward to trying a version of this recipe. I have to say version because if I don't have all of the ingredients I go forward anyway. We are vegetarian,here, except my husband who still likes my meatless meals.

I think your low fat modifications are great. Btw Did you know that Explorer 8 makes it impossible for me to stay on your site? That's why I haven't visited lately...a blogger (Lori Times Five) emailed me about the solution ...to download Mozilla Firefox browser...it works.

Also Linda, at Vulture Peak Muse...I get thrown off her place to. Now I'm using 2 browser servers until the problem is resolved...or I get more information.

I thought it was because of a bad internet connection brought about by living here in the tropics. Come over and read a post at Oasis Writing Link (OWL)blog. Where did you get your name from? Do you have long beautiful hair... :-) <3

Rapunzel said...

Cynthia, thanks so much for stopping by!

I, too, substitute ingredients if I don't have exactly what's on hand.

That is so strange about the Explorer issue! Please keep me posted on the outcome!

Well, I do have long hair, not sure how beautiful it is, lol!

I will stop by the OWL Blog, thank you for the invite! :)