Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mom's Favorite Dish


In honor of my mother, tonight I'm making her favorite dish, stuffed shells, for dinner. I'm lightening them up just a bit, though, because not everyone has her metabolism and the ability to scarf down fattening Italian fare without gaining an ounce! Why didn't I inherit that along with her blue eyes, huh?

Wherever you are, Mom, I hope that you can see how much you're missed, and how much we love you. And, if there's a heaven, they must be serving you stuffed shells & cheesecake, right?

Stuffed Shells

POINTS® Value: 4
Servings: 6
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Mixing the ricotta with nonfat cottage cheese gives the filling more body and flavor while reducing the fat content.

Ingredients
1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup(s) fat-free cottage cheese
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp garlic powder, or to taste
1 tbsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cup(s) canned tomato sauce
1 pound(s) cooked pasta, jumbo shells, approximately 24 shells

Instructions

* Preheat oven to 375°F.

* Mix together cheeses, salt, garlic powder, oregano and pepper.

* Spread a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce on bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.

* When cooked shells are cool enough to handle, fill each shell with cheese mixture and place in baking dish. When all shells are in dish, spoon remaining tomato sauce over shells. Cover pan and bake for 20 minutes. Yields about 4 shells per serving.


3 comments:

antgirl said...

Mmmm. Looks yummy.

I can't eat Italian without my thighs thickening at just the smell. :)

arielcircleofnine said...

I could never eat just 4 of those shells lol!!! My mom made stuffed shells every xmas eve when I was a kid. SOOOOO good!

Rapunzel said...

Antgirl, I know the feeling! They are soooo good though..sigh..