Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Menu Planning - Not!


Ack, it's a crazy week as Beren and I are headed out of town Wednesday evening, up to the Ormond house for a nice long weekend. So, no real planning for me today, am going to use up what I have in this house and fill in the gaps with take-out pizza Tuesday.

I did, however, make a tasty dinner last night which I'll share with you. Baked Ziti or Penne is one of my staples, an easy dish which everyone enjoys. This time I also treated the family to Cannoli for dessert, yummy! I can't believe I've been paying big money for these at the Italian bakery all these years, they are so easy to make!




Classic Cannoli Filling

• 16 oz. Ricotta cheese
• 1/2 - 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar (to taste)
• 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Drain the ricotta cheese in cheesecloth for one hour. Using a stand mixer on lowest speed or by hand, beat the ricotta cheese for approximately one minute. Slowly add sugar and continue mixing. Mix in vanilla. Filling can be prepared up to 1-2 days ahead.

Use a pastry bag or a plastic storage bag with one corner snipped off to fill shells. Filling can be thickened, if desired, by beating in one Tbs. of cornstarch at a time until filling reaches desired consistency. Garnish with powdered sugar and/or cinnamon and mini-chocolate chips. Refrigerate filling at least one hour prior to filling shells. Fill Cannoli shells using either a pastry bag or spoon when ready to serve.

Variations / Garnishes

These are just some of the possibilities; mix and match these as you wish and don’t be afraid to experiment. Have fun, be creative, buon appetite!

• Powdered Sugar
• Chocolate sauce
• Strawberries
• Cherries
• Jimmies/sprinkles
• Shaved chocolate
• Powdered chocolate
• Strawberry sauce
• Caramel sauce
• Mini-chocolate chips
• Coconut
• Diced Candied Fruit
• Peanut butter sauce
• Mini-white chocolate chips
• Chopped nuts
• M & M’s


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Annie said...

I love cannoli! Had a chocolate one on my trip to New York (in Little Italy).

Rapunzel said...

Annie, I know, they are so delicious!