Saturday, January 2, 2010

On My Hearth: Slow Cooker Lentils & Tomatoes


My menu plan got away from me this week thanks to holiday gatherings, etc so I'm just now getting around to making some of the dishes I'd planned on Monday. That's ok, though, since the cool front moved through I'm even more in the mood for something hearty & healthy!

Using this recipe from Smitten Kitten as inspiration, I just threw together my own version into the slowcooker. It smells fabulous! Combined with a nice loaf of bread (for those who imbibe) and served over brown rice, this is sure to be a winner!

Slow Cooker Lentils & Tomatoes

2 large diced yellow onions
2 cups large-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
2 cups lentils
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I used gourmet Thai-curry flavored)
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
1 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Add all ingredients to slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over brown rice if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments: