Friday, January 14, 2011
I guess we're all suffering from some winter blues, no? Even though I live in Florida where the sun (supposedly) shines all the time, it's still a bit dull & dreary around here. I guess the post-holiday blahs hit everyone regardless of their climate & locale.
So, what have you all been doing to chase the chilly doldrums away? I've been doing some cleaning & organizing around the Castle but that's not exactly fun now, is it? I also have pulled out my yarn basket and have been crocheting up a storm. Not only does it keep my hands & mind occupied, it also allows me to sit with Beren while he watches endless hours of football..ahem..without going out of my sports-hating mind! *wink* I've also been cooking a bit, made a really simple beef dish the other day:
Mushroom Slow Cooker Roast Beef
Ready In: 9 Hours 5 Minutes
"This is tender, fall-off-the-bone roast beef with mushrooms. It's perfect as-is. Shred the leftovers for cheese steak sandwiches."
1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 (4 pound) standing beef rib roast
1 (1.25 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle beer
ground black pepper
Place the mushrooms in the bottom of a slow cooker; set the roast atop the mushrooms; sprinkle the onion soup mix over the beef and pour the beer over everything; season with black pepper. Set slow cooker to LOW; cook 9 to 10 hours until the meat is easily pulled apart with a fork.
Beren really enjoyed this and it was so easy to make! I served it over egg noodles with green peas but it would also be great with mashed potatoes.
Now, in order to warm up this blog a bit, I thought I'd post something fun & different!
This "game" is floating around blogland, I found it on Fat, Angry Blog as well as other places, thought I'd try it here myself....
30 days of photos - Day 1
1. A picture of yourself and 15 facts:
1. I am 46 years old
2. I am a Leo (and even if the new zodiac had altered that, I'm not buying it)
3. I was a preemie, born 3 weeks early, weighed in at 4 pounds 12 ounces.
4. Kali, my first daughter weighed 8 pounds, 12 ounces. She was 6 days late.
5. My parents were divorced before I was born (don't ask) and my mom remarried (a couple of times) so I now have a big ol' blended family!
6. I have 3 daughters from 2 different husbands but am now happily shacking up sans the legal stuff
7. I reconnected with my high school sweetheart after Divorce #2. We've been living together in non-marital bliss ever since (see above)
8. I love to cook but I refuse to believe that has anything to do with me gaining weight. Cooking didn't get me fat, eating did!
9. I love animals of all kinds. Especially cats. And wolves. (Loki made me add that)
10. I love to read and am starstuck by authors much more so than actors.
11. My mother died of lung cancer on February 4, 2009. It's not a happy fact but it is very much a part of who I am. (if you're a smoker, rest assured I'm gonna nag you go quit).
12. I love the color red. Big time.
13. I guess it goes without saying that I adore pin-ups.
14. I wear heels whenever possible, the higher the better, flats only when necessary and sneakers only when exercising. Otherwise, I'm barefoot.
15. When I was a little girl my mom forced me to have a pixie cut. It was not flattering. I eventually forgave her but in rebellion I grew my hair long..and longer..and still longer. I've recently cut it to a more manageable length more suited to an..ahem..woman of my age but you'll never see it shorter than it is right now. Rapunzel forever!
Still to come:
2. A picture of you and person you’ve been the closest with the longest
3. A picture of the cast of your favourite show
4. A picture of your night
5. A picture of your favorite memory
6. A picture of a person you’d love to trade places with for a day
7. A picture of most treasured item
8. A picture that makes you laugh
9. A picture of a person who has gotten you through the most
10. A picture of the person you do the most fucked up things with
11. A picture of something you hate
12. A picture of something you love
13. A picture of your favourite band or artist
14. A picture of someone you could never imagine your life without
15. A picture of something you want to do before you die
16. A picture of someone who inspires you
17. A picture of something that has made a huge impact on your life recently
18. A picture of your biggest insecurity
19. A picture of you when you were little
20. A picture of somewhere you'd love to travel
21. A picture of something you wish you could forget
22. A picture of something you wish you were better at
23. A picture of your favorite book
24. A picture of something you wish you could change
25. A picture of your day
26. A picture of something that means a lot to you
27. A picture of yourself and a family member
28. A picture of something your afraid of
29. A picture that can always make you smile
30. A picture of someone you miss
So, doesn't that sound like fun? You may end up knowing much more about me than you ever thought you would..or cared to. *wink*
Have a Wonderful Weekend! TGIF!