Wednesday, June 1, 2011

30 Days of Photos: Day 27

30 Days of Photos, Day 27: A picture of yourself and a family member



This is me with my maternal grandmother, taken on my 3rd birthday. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo, but she was actually riding the trike with me. Along with her crazy hat made from pond fronds, it's obvious that she was a fun-loving lady, huh? I'm actually named after her, though few people know this because I have always gone by my middle name. The story goes that when my mother was pregnant with me she wanted to name me Samantha; my grandmother hated that idea so my mom said, "fine, we'll just name her after you." Done deal. Unfortunately, Grandma was killed in a car accident when I was only 8 years old so I don't have many memories of her. I do recall her jet black hair, red nails & lipstick, and how it felt to sit on her lap. She was a proud woman with a fiery temper, daughter of a Cherokee man and a white woman, quite scandalous for those days. My mother told stories of her Indian Grandpa riding up to their little house in the hills of West Virginia, mounted on a big white horse, coming to pick her up for a visit. Someday I want to trace my ancestry and confirm some of those stories..have always felt very connected to my Cherokee blood..and that of my proud, feisty grandmother. I'm honored to be her namesake.

Rapunzel~

Still to Come...

28. A picture of something your afraid of

29. A picture that can always make you smile

30. A picture of someone you miss


Rapunzel~

3 comments:

Saimi said...

Fun picture and I love stories like that! What great memories you must have!

kim said...

I thought that was your Mom at first. Wow, you can really see the family resemblance!

So, now I have to ask what your first name is....?

Rapunzel said...

Kim..ok, I'll share..grin..my first name is Evelyn.