Tonight's dinner is going to be simple comfort food using what is on hand. My supermarket had instant potatoes BOGO this week, making this a fast budget-friendly meal. Since there are only two of us eating tonight, I'll be reducing the recipe, baking the pies in individual casseroles. To make this veggie-friendly, I'll be making my own "gravy" using onion soup mix and a bit of water, and substituting veggie crumbles for the beef.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) home-style beef gravy
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
- 2 to 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the gravy, vegetables and onion. Spoon half into a
- greased 2-qt. baking dish or four oven-safe 2-cup dishes. Top with
- mashed potatoes. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated
- through. Place the remaining beef mixture in a freezer container and
- freeze for up to 3 months.
- To prepare frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator; transfer to a
- greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with the potatoes, butter and
- paprika; bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).