Here's another veggie-friendly side dish that will be donning my Thanksgiving table. Once again, Kali will be preparing this one for us. I'm really looking forward to the flavor combination in this recipe - the sweetness of the cranberries combined with the savory onion, balsamic vinegar & parsley - delicious!
For a delicious twist, top with a sprinkling of cooked and crumbled bacon just before serving.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 pound parsnips
- 1 pound carrots
- 2 large red onions, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Peel first 3 ingredients, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Combine parsnips, carrots, onions, and cranberries in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker; layer sweet potatoes over top.
- 2. Whisk together sugar and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl; pour over vegetable mixture. (Do not stir.)
- 3. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Toss with parsley just before serving.