Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year


New Year's Eve is not one of my favorite holidays. Like the 4th of July (not a fan of that one either), I don't find the potential for disaster worth the possibility of a good time.  Combining fireworks with alcohol is never a good idea, adding the heightened emotions frequently found on such milestone events only escalates the situation and allows for a helluva lot of drama.  For years I sat at home on the last night of the year, sometimes only with a significant other, others with family & close friends.  Either way, I stayed off the road and away from danger.  This year, Beren and I decided to venture out just a bit.  Around 10 pm we headed toward our favorite beach bar, but not before I programmed AAA's Tow-to-Go Program's number as well as our local cab service into my phone, just in case. We were prepared to ring in the new year safely, responsibly, and joyously. And that's just what we did!


As soon as the clock struck midnight, I kissed my sweetie, sipped my champagne and then made my way onto the beach where I stood barefoot in the sand and watched fireworks bursting over the ocean.  After the grand finale, we went home, had one more class of bubbly on our back patio and headed off to bed. A fitting ending to a tumultuous year, perfect beginning to the fresh, new one.


Happy New Year, dear friends.  Here's hoping that 2012 brings us more peace, joy & love than we could ever imagine.

Rapunzel~

No comments: