Friday, June 24, 2011

30 Days of Photos: Day 28

30 Days of Photos, Day 28: A picture of something you're afraid of


Photo courtesy of Urbanplanet.org


I once suffered greatly from anxiety, depression and mild OCD, treated with therapy and medication for most of my 30's. Miraculously, once I got divorced and reunited with Beren, most of the symptoms disappeared or at least regressed to a manageable level. I've been off the medication for 7 years now and though I still have my therapist on speed dial, I haven't had to visit him for a long time. However, I have not yet been able to conquer one of the major anxiety and panic-attack provoking situations: driving on highways, especially over bridges. Because I live in a fairly urban area, it's difficult to avoid the highway so sometimes I have to hop on one, but only during the day, and never over bridges or overpasses. As hard as I try, I just can't do it. Maybe someday I'll slay that particular demon, but for now I'll keep my feet, and my wheels, on the ground.


Still to Come...

29. A picture that can always make you smile

30. A picture of someone you miss


Rapunzel~

6 comments:

Karla said...

Glad to know there is a light at the end of the OCD tunnel. Being in it this past year and for years, just not knowing it. On meds and therapy now - has helped tremendously! I've learned so much about boundaries and control and what's just not important. I'm actually enjoying retraining my brain. Obviously, some days are easier than others.

linda said...

i appreciate your candor, i too have some fear of bridges...especially if i am driving...freeways around here are a fact of life unfortunately but rarely is there speed involved but rather bumper-to-bumper traffic.

xoxox and blessings, my dear, it's been awhile. :)

jan said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It's very brave of you to put yourself out there and you do it with such grace.

Rapunzel said...

Karla, some days are certainly easier than others! So glad you're getting the help you need. xoxoox

Rapunzel said...

Linda, so good to "see" you, my friend! Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. xoxox

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, dear Jan. xoxoxo