Sunday, July 5, 2009


Since Beren's girls are with us today and I don't think they'd enjoy the slow cooker recipe I'd planned, I'm going to save that for later in the week and instead make them some Baked Penne courtesy of this amazing new-to-me site, BetterBudgeting.com. As usual, I will be substituting veggie crumbles for the beef and will definitely use fresh parsley from my herb garden.

Classic Baked Penne Casserole
Copyright © 2002 by Michelle Jones, editor of BetterBudgeting.com

Next time you plan to make your usual spaghetti dinner for your family, try this delicious casserole recipe instead. It's still very frugal and can feed a crowd, the only extra expense will be for 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Remember to buy the store brand and wait 'til it goes on sale.

* * *

Ingredients:

8 ounces of Penne pasta, cooked and drained
1/2 pound ground beef, cooked and drained (add some spices while cooking if desired)
1 26-ounce jar of your favorite pasta sauce (or about 3 cups of your homemade sauce)
2 c. Mozzarella cheese, shredded (you can also add a little parmesan cheese if you have it on hand)
Parsley, dried or fresh and chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* In a large bowl, mix together cooked pasta, beef, sauce and 1 c. of the shredded cheese.
* Place pasta mixture into baking dish and cover with lid or aluminum foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
* Take dish out of the oven and remove cover, top with remaining 1 c. of shredded cheese and sprinkle with parsley. Bake for another 8-10 minutes.

Makes 4-6 servings. This recipe can be double easily and cooked in a 10x13 baking pan.


Bon App├ętit,

4 comments:

LadyTerri said...

That sounds like a yummy cheap pasta dish that I am going to try. My husband Predator Press loves spaghetti he could eat it 7 days a week and not get tired of it. This is a nice spiced up version of it, thanks! :)

yeah that picture of the flag girl is over the top hehehe

Rapunzel said...

LadyTerri, let me know how hubby likes it, it was a big hit here with my crew! :)

ELLIE said...

love this recipes - will have to try it out~~~

Rapunzel said...

Ellie, let me know how you like it!