Monday, January 12, 2009

The First Secret of Highly Creative Women


"We need to remember that we are all created creative and can invent new scenarios as frequently as they are needed" ~ Maya Angelou

Secret One: Acknowledging Your Creative Self

I am participating in Jamie Ridler's blogging book group on Gail McMeekin's book, "The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women." I am supposed to read the chapter and post each Friday starting Jan 9th but, alas, some life events got in the way and that didn't happen. While this particular occasion warranted the delay (my daughter's car accident took precedence of course!), it makes me wonder just how many times I allowed life, others, to stand in the way of my own creative process.

As a child and young adult, I was a passionate reader and writer. My goal, my dream, was to be an author and, frankly, back then I had the talent for it. There is a certain confidence in knowing that one is better than most at something, anything, and for me that was writing. No matter what else I failed at..sports, relationships, etc...I could always write. Somewhere along the way I put aside that passion and my talent as well as my soul has suffered for it. I lost my confidence, my belief in myself, eventually choosing to see myself through the eyes of those who put me down and considered me "less than." They didn't see the passionate creative woman trying so desperately to hold onto herself, didn't understand that even though I was no longer writing, not even "working" by society's standards, I was still expressing myself as best I could in other, less obvious ways. Instead of the written word I practiced the fine art of homemaking, of craft, baking and cooking, all done with love for my family and friends, and all done with great passion.

My life changed 5 years ago when my marriage ended, I no longer had the time or inclination to whip up fancy dinners and desserts, had no desire for crafts and for a while my house did not feel like a home. Now, however, I'm in a much different, much better place..my children are grown and leaving the nest one by one, I have found true love with someone who sees the best & beautiful in me, so once again I turn inward to the long-neglected places in my soul that have been patiently waiting to be tended.

So, with the help of this book and this group, I look forward to rediscovering my inner artist, in whatever form she chooses to reveal herself. Rapunzel, come out and play!

24 comments:

Helen K. said...

The thing about writing is that it's mostly just hard work. Lonely and hard work. Like research. I couldn't live without writing but I'd rather live and experience than sit at home and write.

traveler one said...

The best part of this group is just knowing we are not alone!

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

Come out and play indeed - this is your year, my friend!

Ever since I've known you, I've been impressed by your writing ability... the craft and the honesty - it may have lain dormant for a while, but it's certainly there in all its glory, waiting to break through...

Maybe your Word of the Year needs to showcase that talent/desire - Create... or Allow?

Looking forward to seeing where this takes you - much love... <3

Rapunzel said...

Susan, thank you so much for your kind words and support, you know how much it means coming from you!

Great suggestions for my word-of-the-year, am still pondering..am going to be spending tonight on the beach, hopefully will gain some clarity once I get my toes in the sand.

Rapunzel said...

Helen, yes, indeed it is. Good things usually are a result of hard work..sigh..

Rapunzel said...

Traveler One, I'm looking forward to traveling this journey with you! Thank you for stopping by my blog.

Kavindra said...

Hey I'm here from the book group visiting. I hope and trust your daughter is ok.

I write too, and relate. I find that I go long periods without writing ~ but those stretches go by better when I am doing other creative things, like you said. I believe those stretches of other creative pursuits fuels the later writing.

And I really love your blog name. Rapunzel was my most favorite fairy tale, and I have a couple of paintings and a poem about her. Rapunzel indeed!

jan said...

That is so fan-frickin'-tabulous! It's awesome that you're taking the initiative to nurture your creativity.

P.S. I, for one, love you're writing style:-)

linda said...

hey there, thanks for the great comment on my blog and also a big sense of gratitude to you for your complete willingness to be naked and honestly you here in this post......it's wonderful and courageous! perhaps the first step back to writing?

I too am in this group although I am not seeing much of a "leader" in it and have yet to see any sort of organized effort in pulling people together other than providing a weblink...but I didn't come here about that and didn't even know you were in it, I came here to thank you for your sweet comment on my blog and see how things were going....I saw your post in my blogger follower thing and wanted to read it in full and am so glad I did...

you sound a bit like me 20 years ago and I am here to tell you that all that cooking and cleaning is not going to amount to much to you in the end...now is the time, with the children leaving, to take up what you most love for YOU and if that's writing , then write and if it's something completely new and different, they try that...point is, we only do this once, and to not be who you truly are is such a sad thing for the world and for you....I am happy I came by today and had a chance to share this, seeing myself in your post to a certain extent, and perhaps you saw the same in mine...

anyway, here's to a whole new rest of our lives, doing what it is we truly want to do!

X

Barb said...

As I cruise around reading blogs today I am struck by how many of us have spent years ignoring our creative half.

intothedawn said...

Here's to rediscovery and reconnection! What an exciting place to be in life, the possibilities are endless!

Aisling said...

This post brought tears to my eyes, Rapunzel. You know, for years and year I have enjoyed the way that you express yourself in writing, so I don't believe you have lost your talent for it at all. You seem as real to me as an "in person" friend, and that is because who you are is so beautifully expressed in your writing. I can't wait to see you embrace your creativity and just fly with it!

love and hugs,
Aisling

Rapunzel said...

Kavindra, thank you so much for stopping by!

Rapunzel was always my favorite as well, and I choose to think that she rescued herself from that tower, with a little help from the prince. ;-)

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Jan! Your comments always uplift and encourage me, you are such a good friend. xoxoxo

Rapunzel said...

Linda, thank you so much for encouragement and support, it means so much to me! You are an inspiration, you truly are.

xoxoxox

Rapunzel said...

Barb, I totally agree. When did we decide that that part of us was no longer important? Tragic really.

Rapunzel said...

Intothedawn, absolutely! We are only limited by ourselves.

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, my friend, I too feel that we are "live" friends no matter how far apart we actually are! Thank you for always, always being there. We've traveled quite a journey together, haven't we?

Helena said...

Just wanted to let you know that I changed my address (again) because someone recognized me - but now I can tell stories again so maybe it was a good thing. :-)

I've almost given up editing my book because it's so much work and I want to give my time to my child. But you have a chance now as your children are already grown up. Good luck!

Genie Sea said...

I am looking forward to seeing Rapunzel coming out to play! YAY!

Here's to your ever-growing connection with what has always been there, waiting for you. :)

Belle said...

This is such a beautifully written, honest post. I too am a writer, and I too lost my way for a while there. But the writing ability never leaves, it stays with you. It might feel a little rusty at first but it's like a sweet little muscle that just needs a bit of use and it's as good as new! Yes, Rapunzel, come out and play - I want to play along with you!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Belle, I look forward to playing with you as well! I hope you're right about the writing, we shall see...

Genie Sea, thank you so much! I'm looking forward to seeing that playful Rapunzel again, too.

chest of drawers said...

We have a lot in common. I can really feel your positive outlook in this post, wonderful!

Rapunzel said...

"Chest of Drawers," we certainly do have a lot in common! Looking forward to traveling this journey with you..