Friday, January 30, 2009

Mom


Poking my head in to give an update on Mom and ask once again for healing thoughts/prayers/energy.

Last Saturday my Mother was admitted the hospital with a perforated colon, perhaps resulting from the chemo and radiation but we don't know for sure. The infection was so bad at that point, she was filled with fluid, the doctors advised us that she would only live for 3 days unless they did emergency surgery. Unfortunately in her weakened state there was a very high mortality rate with the surgery as well, so we had a decision to make: sit back and watch her die or take a risk and possibly lose her anyway. Well, as you might imagine, we took the chance, there simply was no other option.

Nearly a week later she is still in ICU but in stable condition though still on a ventilator and highly sedated. We have no idea how long the recovery will be or what the future holds, we are just trying to live each day and deal with the situations as they present itself.

Words can't begin to describe the hell my family has been through this past week, indeed the past 7 months since she was diagnosed with lung cancer. No one should have to endure this, absolutely no one.

All I can say is please, hold fast to your family and friends, give them extra hugs, let go of the stupid stuff we argue about. Just love them as best you know how each and every day because we truly do not know how long we'll have them in our lives.

9 comments:

linda said...

dear woman, with tears in my eyes, I will surely promise to go light a candle for your mom right away...I know how difficult this is and there really are no words...

just prayers...and a big hug...

(((((((((((((((rapunzel))))))))))))
(((((((((((((((mom)))))))))))))))))

kim said...

I wish there was sometihing I could do or say to help or make things better. Just know I think about you and you family a lot. And I pray for some sort of divine intervention or something.
XOXOXO

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

I got your voicemail, but only after I came back into town late Tuesday (and I hit the ground running with two crazy days after that, finally unpacking today) - will give you a call tomorrow (Saturday)...

In a sad bit of synchronicity, I also just posted something about my mom - so sorry to hear of Phyllis' new struggles. I've had my purple candles burning all day, actually, and you know she continues on my prayer list - sending love and light to your family as well... <3

Robbin with 2 B's! said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, just wanted you to know I care a bunch.

Karla said...

Still praying for all of you in earnest.
Much love to you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Oh M...I am channeling all of my positive energy, thoughts and prayers your way. Your mom sounds like one tough cookie...and the nut does not fall from the tree! You are right - cancer sucks - and we should always remember to sieze the day and make the most of each and every day we have. Thinking about you! Mari

Deb said...

Sending prayers and positive energy to mom and your entire family. Hugs to all.

Helena said...

I'm so sorry, that sounds really painful for you and your mother especially. I've watched people and animals suffer from cancer and it's always horrible when you can't do much else to help except pray and offer painkillers and care.

You are right, you should be grateful for every moment that you and your loved ones are well and alive. It can all change so quickly.

But I'm glad you came back to say something. :-)

Aisling said...

Rapunzel,

I read this the other day, but didn't have a chance to comment. I wanted to let you know that I am still thinking of and praying for your Mom, as well as you and your family.

Please take care of yourself too.

love and hugs,
Aisling