Tuesday, April 24, 2007

On My Hearth: Thai Curry Vegetables


I am thrilled to have found this recipe because I love vegetable curry but the restaurant version is usually really high in calories. I have a package of tofu in the fridge that is begging to be eaten, and a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies that I'll use instead of the fresh veggies tonight.

Thai Curry Vegetables


POINTS® Value: 3
Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Serve these spicy veggies over jasmine rice for a healthy, low fat, one-dish meal.

Ingredients

* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1 medium onion(s), red, sliced
* 2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
* 2 tsp thai curry paste, red
* 14 fl oz light coconut milk, divided
* 2 tsp fish sauce
* 2 small sweet red pepper(s), cut into 1/2-inch squares
* 1/2 pound baby carrots
* 1/2 pound green snap beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 15 oz firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
* 2 tsp cornstarch
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup basil, leaves, sliced

Instructions

* In large, nonstick skillet heat olive oil. Cook onion and garlic until vegetables begin to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.

* Mix curry paste with 2 tablespoons milk. Add paste mixture, remaining milk and fish sauce to skillet. Bring to a boil. Add peppers, carrots, green beans and tofu. Simmer until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.

* With slotted spoon remove vegetables; keep warm.

* Mix cornstarch with water. Add to sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Mix with vegetables and basil; serve. Yields 3/4 cup per serving.

© 2007 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2007 WeightWatchers.com, Inc.

3 comments:

Becky said...

r u vegetarian?

Michele said...

Becky, I was mostly-vegetarian (I'd eat some fish) for 10 years but now I eat a little bit of everything yet lean toward a plant-based diet.

Michele said...

Hamster, thanks so much for the link; those videos look very informative!