Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Bad Day on the Boat...


..is still better than the week I've had!

First off, I want to thank those of you who have prayed, sent energy, cyberhugs, emails, etc. It means so much to me and I truly did feel the positive energy all around me. It has been one helluva week, and though I don't want to dwell on it anymore I do feel the need for a quick recap:

Monday: Exhusband #2 announces his separation and possible divorce. Not a big surprise since he only knew her for 4 months when he married her, then kept the situation a secret from his kids for an entire year, but whatever. What happens to him affects my kids and ultimately me, especially when the estranged wife decides to regale me with hatefilled emails. This is where I had to learn to detach, turn around, not try to fix things, do things differently. Getting invovled in his mess, in his emotional dramas, is what led me to divorce him in the first place and I simply can't go there anymore.

Tuesday: Lily's accident. Not only was the accident horrible enough but I had to deal with aforementioned exhusband at length and we truly should not spend inordinate amounts of time together or I get sucked back into bad patterns and behaviors. (See above)

Wednesday: My ex-brother-in-law calls me after 4 years of no contact, decides that now is the time for our children to get to know each other. Um...our kids are teenagers and young adults, much too old to arrange play dates for. I politely suggest passing along phone numbers, emails, etc. and allowing the kids to decide for themselves. I have no problem with it but it's up the kids, right? Not good enough for him so he calls me incessantly, leaving several phone messages. More drama I don't want to be a part of, and a call to do things differently: Detach lovingly.

Thursday: Our slightly retarded, definitely ditzy but sweetest cat came home limping and bloody. I think that perhaps she was hit by a car so I call in sick to work, took her to the vet to discover that her leg/paw was apparently sliced so badly that it required surgery and resulted in her losing a tendon, one claw and part of a toe. She's on antibiotics and has to be confined to a cage for a couple of days but she'll be ok. The bill, however, was not so ok. Groan.

Friday: Beren and I decide that some decompression/stress relief is definitely in order so we pick up lunch from Fresh Market and head to the boat for a day of sailing. The boat motor had other ideas, though, and we ended up stuck on the mooring calling our boat mechanic. But, hey, it's a gorgeous day and there's no reason not to make the best of a bad situation, right? We ate lunch, drank a few beers and played cards for a few hours, had a great time anyway!

So, that was my week! I know there are much, much worse things out there and I am incredibly grateful to the Universe for allowing me to survive all of this mostly-little stuff and sit here this morning to bitch about it. This, too, shall pass and we'll all be fine. This is a chance to make changes, look at my life, be grateful for what I have and work to make things better. Each day we are called to do that, this week was just a shout instead of a gentle suggestion!

6 comments:

Rote Silke said...

A hug and a smooch to you. Any one thing, especially the accident, would have been enough to make it a bad week....

Marcie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your week. I figured something was going on. I hope next week is much, much better. I will keep sending good thoughts your way!

Nikki Neurotic said...

At least you made it through it, and it'll soon be a brand new week.

OhTheJoys said...

Holy mackarel! One can only hope that next week can't be anything but better. Let's hope so. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've made it through the week and a new, fresh week is upon you.

Sending hugs, and peace your way!

Michele said...

Thanks so much, everyone! Today is a new day, new week, a fresh start.