This is very timely for me as I am feeling compelled to join, if not form, a group of like-minded individuals. I am perhaps looking for a coven. It's not secret that I've been studying Paganism for 5 or 6 years now, that I am drawn toward the Goddess and earth-based belief systems. I have sought study groups before, have spoken with my local CUUPS at the UU Church, but there hasn't been a good fit there for me. At this point I really desire more formal training, and some fellowship with others who share my beliefs. I'm still searching, am sure that the Goddess will put the right people into my path, but if any of you out there have suggestions or can provide some direction, please let me know. Blessed Be.
August 10, 2007
Fellowship With A Purpose
Starting A Group
Human beings, by their very nature, love to gather. Yet as much as we crave community, the rigors of real life frequently interfere with our efforts to come together with likeminded individuals. For this reason, fellowship is crucial to humanity's wellbeing now more than ever. Most towns and cities play host to a variety of small groups that allow people to congregate purposefully, but that does not mean we should not consider founding our own. When people with similar interests, ideals, or aspirations come together as a group, a community is built that provides a new dimensionality to our earthly experiences.
The formation of a group is like an invitation welcoming all those desiring companionship and camaraderie into a circle of support. You may feel driven to found a group for women, healers, knitters, readers, writers, or political activists. Rules need only be a part of your communal experience if you find that level of organization appealing, and it matters little whether your group is large, goal-oriented, or structured. When you have a firm vision of the group you wish to bring into being, hang posters, reach out to acquaintances, and get in touch with similar groups to attract participants. Groups of likeminded individuals are to some extent inherently exclusionary, being that they serve as a supportive environment in which people who have something in common can gather. Yet such groups can also transcend the boundaries that might otherwise keep people apart, The group you create will likely attract people from many different ethnic, cultural, and spiritual backgrounds, a! nd if you make these individuals feel equally welcome, your group will grow and thrive as a result.
Try to ward off any discouragement you feel when those intrigued by your group's purpose are not ready to contribute actively. They are likely waiting to see how it evolves and whether you are truly committed to serving as its heart and soul. If the group you have founded is a positive influence in the life of even a single individual, it is well worth it. Your intention to bring people together will be the seed that develops into a source of nurturance and community that stays true to its purpose long after its initial inception.
10 comments:
One of the struggles I find with Paganism, is for the most part, walking the path on your own. Like you, I'm trying to form a group that also seeks to follow an Earth-based path. Luck and Blessings to you!
Thank you for visiting, r.e.; I know just how you feel! It can be a lonely path if walked alone but I don't want to bring along people who don't share my visions either. I just visited your blog, lovely!
Brightest Blessings to you as well.
xoxox
I agree, it is difficult to walk the path alone. Especially, when starting out. The circles I have found near me are still several hours away.
Dearest! Another soul link -- I search too -- have you tried www.witchvox.com -- there seem to be links for all types of groups in every state. I just prefer to remain quiet and private about such matters -- no group connections -- but always interested -- also check out Amazon.com for books on sole paths and teachings.
Jan at Rosemary Cottage
I tend to be a solitaire, but I do enjoy insightful and edifying interactions within a group setting too. Somewhere to feel comfy yet inspired as well.
Did you try Googling Florida Pagans to see what comes up?
I know what you mean. It can be very difficult to find a good fit. The hardest part I believe. Keep looking and Googling, I do believe something will arise from your quest. Abundant Blessings, MW (=^;^=)
I didn't know of your interest in this. I know very little about it, but I hope you find what suits your needs.
Thank you all so much for the support and encouragement! The Universe must have been listening because shortly after posting this I was directed to a wonderful woman who has agreed to "fellowship" and teach me here online! I'm really excited about this and am looking forward to growing in my spirituality.
Oh yes, as Jan said, Witchvox has group and individual listings by state. I forgot about Witchvox listings. I'm going to include them in my links. Thanxx for the reminder, Jan. Here are the indexes:
www.witchvox.com/vn/vn_index/xgroups.html
www.witchvox.com/vn/vn_index/xpagans.html
(=^;^=)
I too have studied the pagan arts for years, Rapunzel.
For long as I can remember, but most specifically over the past 13 years.
While I have been tempted to join a coven, I remain Solitaire, predictably due to my travels from one country to another (and my innate tendency to not be a good "team member" ...!)
How I wished we lived closer.
We could form our own circle...
x
Thank you, Mothewintermoon, I did indeed search Withvox and came up with a few ideas but nothing perfect...yet. :-)
Minxy, I thought I felt a witchy sisterhood with you! You are a kindred spirit, my dear, in so many ways. Some day we will meet and do a little ritual of our very own.
Post a Comment