
I spent about 9 hours cleaning and doing laundry yesterday. I don't know what the "normal" amount of time require for housekeeping is, but doesn't that sound like a lot? I was exhausted by the end of the day and needed a nap, which got me to thinking that there must be a better way. Barring hiring the aforementioned maid, of course. So, I started my own little system, inspired by Kali and various other homemaking gurus.
I got a three-ring binder and made two lists: one for daily routines, one for weekly. I wrote everthing out that needs to be accomplished, used the Paint program to add some cute little vintage graphics, and then inserted them into page protectors. Using a dry erase marker, I crossed of each task as I completed it. My goal is to do a bit each day instead of letting the castle get completely trashed and then killing myself fixing it. Evenutally I will add pages of monthy and seasonally, but for right now this gets me started.
Anyone use this type of system? Thoughts?
11 comments:
We have a system like that at work. We have chores for each of the first two shifts that have to be done daily, then for third shift (my shift) we have a list of chores that are specific for that night. Like Friday nights we clean the kitchen up really well, Saturday's the basement, etc. Seems to work okay for us usually.
I have a list of daily/weekly tasks in a sheet protector hung on the inside of my laundry room door. I have those memorized, and when life runs smoothly (no unexpected events, etc.) they get done. I also have a much longer list of things that should be done periodically (taking down light fixtures to clean them, pulling out the stove and refrigerator, etc.) I just do a few when I have time and it goes on all year instead of just in spring (for "spring cleaning.") Every June when school gets out, I do a really detailed clean on my kitchen. I used to have a binder, but the inside of my laundry room door is easier to see and remember and I don't have to pull a binder out.
Silerneurotic, that's great that your workplace is so organized!
Aisling, I know how organized and what a wonderful homemaker you are so I'm reassured that this "system" will work pretty well...as long as I work the plan, right? *grin*
Rapunzel, Honestly, like most people I'm organized and efficient some of the time and overwhelmed some of the time. When I stick with it, it works well. I do try something else for a change of pace sometimes. I think it is sticking with it that makes the difference, not the particulars of the system you choose. The moral of the story: pick a routine that appeals to you and when it doesn't anymore, try something else! *grin*
I think that is amazing you are doing that. But you need to add "Drink big glass of wine" under your daily list! :)
Lotta, that goes without saying! ;-) I figure that into my WW POINTS before I eat anything else. Hey, a glass a day is good for us, right?
Aisling, from what I know of you and have seen of your home, it is lovely, as are you. :-) You do an awesome job & are an inspiration to me, so whatever system you're using, it works!
I just saw this method in the recent "Canadian Living" mag. Yes, 9 hours is way too much in my books..I'd crash and burn.
It's all I can do to keep top of the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom.
It sounds like a good system. I should probably do something like that, both in my classroom and at my house... But, unfortunately, I'm lazy.
I hope you have good luck w/ it!!!
Thank you, Abigail!
Mother of Invention, I just googled the article in Canadian Living and if it's the correct one, it references Organizedhome.com. That is a great website and the author/webowner is a wonderful lady! I "knew" her from my days posting at the S*H*E boards.
Post a Comment