
I'm trying to get back into the habit of planning my menu weekly, but it's tough when, thanks to teenagers and a spontaneous boyfriend, my dinnertime schedule can change on a dime. So I'm going to tentatively plan a few meals and gather the ingredients beforehand so at least I'm prepared. I'm focusing on meals that will refrigerate or even freeze well should our plans change and I end up not cooking one night.
With that in mind, I'd like to share this recipe which I intend to make tomorrow night. It comes from This Mama Cooks, I copied it exactly from her fabulous blog. I'll use veggie crumbles in place of the ground beef, will put it in the crockpot tomorrow morning so it can be enjoyed by everyone on their own time frame.
Taco Soup
(1 cup = 4 points)
Brown 1 lb. very lean chopped meat (I used ground venison) with one larged diced onion in a large stew pot.
Add:
* 16 oz canned tomato sauce
* 16 oz canned kidney beans (rinsed)
* 16 oz canned pinto beans (rinsed)
* 16 oz garbanzo beans (rinsed)
* 16 oz canned yellow corn (undrained)
* 16 oz canned diced tomatoes
* 1 3 oz. can of diced green chilies
* one packet of dry ranch dressing
* 1 packet of taco seasoning mix
* 1 1/2 cup water
Heat to boiling. Immediately lower heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy.
I also tried this with a scoop of pineapple and mango salsa in the middle. The cold but spicy salsa with the hot soup was an interesting contrast.
This makes a large quantity and freezes well, too.
2 comments:
This is identical to my mother-in-law's Taco Soup recipe. It's very yummy!! You'll love it.
Try taking a look at Robin Miller's recipe online at Food Network website. She's the queen of meal planning. She spends an hour or so on the weekend making some "meal bags" for the week, then they are ready when you are. It's been a time saver and we are eating so much healthier using her concept and her recipes. I broke down and bought her new book. Love it!
I'm a lazy cook and my husband hardly ever eats with me so once a week I try to make a big batch of something that we can microwave when we want to and that will last 3 days! We also eat a lot of frozen Healthy Choice entrees like Shepherd's pie with cauliflower on top instead of potato. The I make more veggies and maybe a salad.
Post a Comment