Friday, June 29, 2007

On My Hearth: Greek Salad with Shrimp


Another salad today, you'll be seeing quite a few salad recipes as they are cool & refreshing and it's too darn hot to spend much time in the kitchen. My supermarket had bottled Italian dressing BOGO this week so I'm going to use that instead of the recipe here, serving it on the side for those of us watching our weight. I always keep a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer, as suggested here, find it tastes almost as good as fresh and allows me to throw together quick meals such as this one.

Greek Salad with Shrimp

Use shredded rotisserie chicken in place of the shrimp, if you'd prefer. For quick suppers, keep a bag of cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp in the freezer. Set the shrimp in a colander and rinse with cool water to thaw quickly.

4 quarts water
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 cups torn romaine lettuce
1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices red onion, separated into rings
1 cup cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
8 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
4 pepperoncini peppers

Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place shrimp in a bowl; cover and chill.

Place lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and cucumber in a large bowl; toss to combine. Combine parsley and next 7 ingredients (parsley through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Spoon 1 tablespoon dressing over shrimp; toss to combine. Add shrimp mixture and remaining dressing to lettuce mixture; toss gently to coat. Spoon about 2 3/4 cups salad onto each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese, 4 olive halves, and 1 pepperoncini pepper.

Yield: 4 servings

CALORIES 296 (30% from fat); FAT 9.8g (sat 3.2g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.8g); PROTEIN 39.4g; CHOLESTEROL 271mg; CALCIUM 219mg; SODIUM 849mg; FIBER 3.2g; IRON 6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.1g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2003

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so yummy - I bet I could substitute chicken for the shrimp since half my family is allergic to shellfish.

By the way - be sure to check out my blog post from Friday night - there's a surprise there for you.

Michele said...

Faith, you absolutely could! In fact, the recipe suggests substituting rotisserie chicken if you wish. :)

Oooh, gotta run & check out your blog, I'm so excited!!

Anonymous said...

I just adore your recipes -- love this Greek salad!! I just adore Greek food -- when we lived in Toronto our home was in the Greek district of the city (if you watch My Big Fat Greek wedding -- look at the background of the scene in the travel agency and you'll see our local restaurant (Pappa's) and our house was about two blocks from there!) I adore that yogurt-cucumber based dip!

Jan x heading out to go dancing tonight!

Michele said...

Jan, how cool! I like most Greek food as long as it doesn't have any lamb or goat or..other unusual creatures. ;-) I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding, will have to watch it again and look for Pappa's!