Monday, May 7, 2007

Witches Knickers


While striving to improve my family's "shade of green," I have stumbled upon several blogs which mention the whole plastic shopping bag issue, and I've come to realize that there is a now a controversy about a certain re-usable bag. I've also learned a new term, witches knickers, referring to plastic bags that end up hanging from trees! Such a cute expression for an annoying and potentially harmful situation.

I always knew about the dangers to sea turtles but this story just broke my heart!

In light of all this, I am filling my car trunk with the dozen or so tote bags we have lying around the house and am going to do the same with Lily's car. Kali and her boyfriend are very earth-conscious so I bet she has already eschewed those wretched plastic bags. I am determined to cut down severely on my use of such things, doing my small part to cut down on clutter both in my home and at my local landfill.

Does anyone else want to join me in the Prevention of Witches Knickers Project? I'm being playful about it but I'm truly dead serious; it's just one more tiny little thing we can to do help the healing of Mother Earth.

3 comments:

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, I just pulled out my old canvas tote bag a few days ago for this same reason (though the term "witches britches" is new to me!) Sadly, I carted it with me once and when I brought it in the house it didn't make it back out into the car. Plus, I really don't have enough for the amount of groceries I buy for this big family. New habits are hard to build, but I'm with you on trying. Keep us posted on your successes and set-backs. It's always good to know you're not alone.

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, I know what you mean - I don't have enough bags for a large shopping trip either. I went searching yesterday and discovered that some of mine are MIA, am going to have to buy a few more.

Thank you for the feedback, I will certainly keep you posted, and please do the same!

Mother of Invention said...

I hate plastic bags! We had one in our tree all winter!I like paper that's recycable better. They used to recycle the plastic bags but not anymore. I wonder why not? Cloth bags are the way to go. I have several lying around too and they sell at the store for $0.99!

Thanks for the nudge!