Tuesday, December 9, 2008

On My Hearth: Giada's Marinara Sauce


Whew...Beren and I had a wonderful time at the Pirates in Paradise festival, returned Sunday evening worn out from all of that pirate revelry! We spent yesterday recuperating and catching up, did some cleaning on his boat and then decorated the Christmas tree.

I'll be posting some pics from our little vacation later, but for now it's time to get back to Real Life..groan...

I am totally seafood-ed out, though I never thought I'd say that, so tonight we are having a simple dinner of frozen ravioli and Marinara Sauce. Well, the rest of the family is eating ravioli, I'll be having SB-friendlyDreamfield's Pasta.

I have yet to find a marinara sauce that I really love but am going to give Giada's a try, haven't been disappointed in any of her recipes so I have high hopes for this one.



Marinara Sauce

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves

In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)

1 comment:

Sorrow said...

looks tasty,
my favorite marinara has roasted red peppers, and I scoop it over spaghetti squash, another favorite at this time of the year.
back to normal things?
seriously?
sigh
if you must.