Monday, December 29, 2008

On My Hearth: Southwest Chicken Soup


I'm on vacation until January 5th and Beren has today off as well, so we plan to get a few things done around the house and then spend the afternoon in the pursuit of happiness! I don't want to deal with cooking dinner tonight so the crockpot is definitely in order and since we've finally run out of leftover holiday food yet I don't want to make a grocery store run today, I was looking for a way to use up some of my pantry & freezer items. Combining several recipes I found on the net, I have the following simmering in my slow cooker:

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can kidney beans
1 small onion, diced
a pinch of cumin
a pinch of chili powder
1 package taco sauce

If I had any green peppers I'd probably add them, but as it is the soup smells fabulous so I'm hoping for the best. I'll most likely serve them alongside some corn muffins, will let you know how all turns out!

4 comments:

Laura said...

That sounds delicious...can't wait to hear how it turns out! Happy New Year!
Blessings,
~*~

linda said...

oooo, yum! that sounds so good!

have a happy new year!

Rapunzel said...

Laura, thanks so much for stopping by. The soup was really tasty, definitely something I'll make again!

Happy New Year to you as well.

xoxox

Rapunzel said...

Linda, it was a perfect dish for a busy Monday, and it'll taste even better heated up today! :-)