Tuesday, December 23, 2008
A Yuletide Meme
I saw this on my friend Susan's blog and decided to share it here as well. Feel free to copy/paste and join in on the fun, please leave me a comment if you do so that I can read your answers as well!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Although I am mostly a paper & ribbon kind of gal (real ribbon, not the plastic stuff), this year I am also using a bunch of red Target shopping bags. They're cheap, pretty, practical and most importantly, reusable!
2. Real tree or Artificial? Always, always a real tree.
3. When do you put up the tree? It varies, but never before the first of December. We've occasionally purchased it on Thanksgiving weekend but in that case it sits quietly in the corner and waits to be decorated. One holiday at a time, please.
4. When do you take the tree down? Again, it varies depending upon how many needles are covering the floor and how motivated I am to un-decorate. It's usually just after the New Year, though.
5. Do you like eggnog? I do, especially spiked with a bit of nutmeg on top..yumm...
6. Favorite gift received as a child? The one I remember most vividly is a doll my Mom let me open in the wee hours of Christmas. I was sick with a cold and sleeping in her bed, I must've been 4 years old because she was still a single mother then. I woke up in the middle of the night, feeling horrible, she consoled and comforted me by allowing me to open just one gift before Christmas morning.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My parents are hard only because they have most everything they want, we end up buying them trinkets or gift certificates.
8. Easiest person to buy for? My eldest daughter
9. Do you have a nativity scene? I have a small one but I don't put it out anymore.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Always mail, sorry but I think holiday e-cards are tacky!
11.Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can't really think of a worst.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? It's a Wonderful Life, I still cry every time I watch it.
13. When do you start shopping? The day after Christmas, LOL.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Not that I can recall.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My ex-in-laws' Italian cookies..fortunately for my waist line I can rarely get my hands on them nowadays!
16. Lights on the tree? Absolutely - my mom always used the big ones, which I actually prefer to these tiny things because you need so many more and the effect is just not the same. Next year I think I'm going back to the biggies.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Winter Wonderland followed closely by Santa Baby.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Always home.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Of course!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? It varies, this year it's a precariously placed silver star.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?Christmas morning for the bulk of them, but on Christmas Eve we all get new pajamas to open. :-) When my kids were little they also got a Christmas book in addition to the pjs but they have outgrown that now.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? the fact that the season starts way too early, I don't want to see Christmas trees mixed in with Halloween costumes! *shudder*
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? The gold cherubs I bought when each of my children were born; each is engraved with their names, date of birth, time and birth weight. They are precious and bring back such wonderful memories of their baby days.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? We have a big Italian dinner on Christmas Eve, have been doing that for 20 years or so. We never did a huge Christmas dinner, too worn out from the night before, but several years ago when going through my divorce I started a new tradition - Chinese take-out on Christmas! LOL! I did it then for practical reasons but it's become a favorite, fun part of our holiday celebration so it stuck.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? a cure for my Mom's cancer, think Santa can handle that one?