Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Big Apple ~ Day 2

Friday was by far our busiest walking day, we tore through the subways & streets of the City!

The morning started off with a subway ride to the South Street Seaport where we took the 1/2 hour Waterfalls Tour. Beautiful sights & scenery! The longer tour would've taken us closer to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc, will definitely do that one next time but this was FREE and fit perfectly into our schedule.





Beren really enjoyed the Seaport Museum, got to explore the Peking, an old cargo ship and peruse the art gallery.





From there we visited the historical Fraunce's Tavern where George Washington gave his farewell address to the officers of the Revolutionary War.



This segued into exploration of the downtown area, Chinatown and Little Italy. I was disappointed in Chinatown, seemed really commercial and dirty to me, but I looooved Little Italy!





This incredible little market, Alleva, made me want to run home and cook something, anything, Italian! The sights and smells were to die for.



Lunch was at the famous Lombardi's where the pizza easily lived up to it's awesome reputation!





One last bit of shopping before heading back to the hotel to change for dinner, couldn't leave NY without stopping at one of my favorite mail-order stores, Pearl River Market. I had a great time there, could've spent hours more if my wallet and my sore feet would've allowed!

We were too tired to walk one more step so we paid for a short cab ride to the fabulous Pete's Tavern for dinner. I'd heard a lot about the famous writer, O. Henry, having written my favorite Christmas carol in this bar, so I was thrilled when we were seated in his very booth!



Beren and I dragged ourselves to one last spot before calling it a night, the new and much-talked-about rooftop bar at the top of our hotel. While much too expensive, even by NYC standards, the view was lovely and almost worth the $26.00 we paid for one beer and a glass of wine. *gulp*



At that point we called it a night, tucked our sore feet and backs into bed and dreamed of what the next day would hold.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I am so enjoying my tour of NYC through your eyes. The BIG apple is on my list of places to visit someday. I am glad that you were seated in O Henry's booth - too cool. Great pictures will allow you to always remember this fun getaway! Enjoy your day.

Aisling said...

I love the photograph of you and Beren with the skyline behind you!

You are making me want to go back and visit NYC again. I didn't get to go to Little Italy, and missed many of the places you visited. That's hardly fair, is it? *grin* There is just an endless variety of things to do and things to see in New York.

I'm enjoying your travelogue immensely!