Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On My Hearth, Weight Watchin' Wednesday - Shrimp with Bean-Tomato Ragu



Yes, I cook with shrimp a lot; it's healthy, it's one seafood that my kids will eat, and I happen to love it! Also, it goes on sale fairly often at my favorite grocery store; this week it was BOGO!

Even though this recipe is really healthy on it's own, I'll be using Shirataki noodles to cut down on the POINTS value for myself; the kids and Beren will enjoy the pasta version.





Shrimp with Bean-Tomato Ragu

4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 9 minutes

Ingredients

* 5 ounces uncooked whole- wheat angel-hair pasta
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1-1/2 pounds large, frozen, shrimp, thawed, deveined
* 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 can (15 ounces) white beans
* 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
* 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Directions

1. Cook pasta following package directions. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Keep warm.

2. While pasta is cooking, season shrimp with 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon pepper. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic; cook 4 minutes or until cooked through, turning once. Remove and keep warm.

3. Drain and rinse the beans and add to the skillet along with tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper. Cook 5 minutes over medium heat.

4. Serve the ragu over the pasta and shrimp.


Note: I'll be using 1 pound of shrimp and cutting the olive oil in half; family can add more oil as desired. This revision brings my portion down to 6 POINTS according to WW's Recipe Builder.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Hello ~ I just finished reading your posts since Monday - you've had a busy week so far - and it is only Wednesday! This shrimp dish sounds yummy! Watching our children leave the 'nest' is SO hard. They take a piece of our hearts when they go. But I do love watching which roads they decide to travel down - even though I frequently hold my breath, cross my fingers and pray hard! I can't wait to see pictures of those cupcakes!