Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Big Apple ~ Day 4

Day 4 was in some ways my favorite overall. I was able to enjoy some "Sex and the City" moments which was, of course, part of the reason I wanted this trip in the first place. Oh, like most people I wanted to visit New York eventually but it was that show that really got my juices flowing!

We started the day with a train ride to New Jersey where we met Kali's family (you remember her cousin J from the wedding pictures) at one of the many NJ diners, Miss America. The food was delicious, company wonderful, a perfect Sunday morning.





We then headed to Greenwich Village where I enjoyed the aforementioned SATC sights..

Yes, I did ignore the "No Trespassing" sign in front of Carrie's brownstone, but can you blame me?



I've already raved about the Magnolia cupcakes; it was difficult to make a decision with all of the goodies perfectly presented in the adorable little bakery! I carried my box of cupcakes all over the village, guarding it carefully until the perfect moment when I could fully appreciate them.





We stopped to have a beer at the delightful Blind Tiger...



where we could peek across the street and wait for the crowd to die down at John's Pizza...



We did a bit more window shopping and then headed back to the hotel to rest a bit before dinner. Kali and Kevin chose to stay in and watch the Olympics on tv; Beren and I decided that we couldn't leave New York without a deli meal.

I wish I'd taken a pic of the pastrami sandwich we shared at Carnegie Deli, it was monstrous! We took a nice long walk after dinner in hopes that we'd walk off the damage..groan...worth every calorie, though, I promise!



Another early night since we knew we'd want to awaken early and make the most of our last day in the Big Apple!

3 comments:

Robbin with 2 B's! said...

I've read every installment of your trip and I feel like I went to New York too! Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad you had a good trip and a magical time.
Thanks for sharing.

Lady Laurie said...

I have so enjoyed seeing all your photos and reading about your wonderful time in the Big Apple!
I want one of those cupcakes ~ I have to try that recipe!

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

I've been following reports of your New York City trip with much interest... and have meant to comment before now - since returning from vacation, I'm scrambling like a crazy woman (what else is new, right?!?).

Sounds like you all have made some special memories, fascinating discoveries and exciting adventures - thanks for letting me live vicariously... :-)

I meant to tell you about the Henry Diltz (the guy who took that gorgeous picture of Joni and Graham, among others) gallery my friend sharon and I stumbled across two Februarys ago when I went up for the Joni Tribute - next time, okay?

http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/gallery/default.aspx?galleryID=6