Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Big Apple ~ Day 1

We're baaack!! Our flight was delayed by three hours..groan..so we didn't get home until after midnight, am now having some coffee and uploading the vacation pics. (I took over 200!).

We had such a fabulous time, I'm going to bore you all with the details for several days. *grin*

We left for the Big Apple on Thursday August 7th, had a short layover in Charlotte, NC where we kicked off our trip with a delicious Bloody Mary at the Phillips Famous Seafood Restaurant in the airport.



We got into Newark 20 minutes early, called our car service (cost us $65.00 for a ride from the airport to Manhattan, ouch!) and zipped off to the hotel.



Checking in at the Roosevelt was an experience all to itself, what a gorgeous hotel! Full of atmosphere and history, I was completely impressed. We were surprised to hear that they were upgrading us from a "Cozy Queen" to a room with a King sized bed, how nice!



We unpacked quickly and set out to explore Midtown. First stop, Eamons where we enjoyed a tasty Brooklyn Ale, a perfect welcome to the City!



We walked down the street just a bit, checked out the breathtakingly beautiful New York Public Library. I can't imagine seeing this type of beauty every single day, do New Yorkers ever get tired of it?



Times Square was our next stop, what an overwhelming display of lights & action! We headed for The Hard Rock Cafe, one of Beren's favorite places, where I had my first NY cosmo!



It was just about dinnertime so back to the Roosevelt where we changed our clothes and hopped on the subway toward Chelsea Market.



We wandered around the market, saw the grocery where we are told Rachel Ray shops for her show, had a fabulous dinner at the Green Table while listening to a string quartet! Dessert was a take-out brownie from the Fat Witch, heavenly despite it's wicked name.










From there we headed to Madison Square Garden, enjoyed a beautiful view of the evening sky and then a concert by the Police!





At this point we were exhausted, headed back to the hotel and collapsed, content in knowing that our 1st day in New York City was a complete success!

10 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like an awesome trip! I love the library picture. unbelievable.

Aisling said...

It sounds wonderful! I'm so glad you had a good time and are back home, safe and sound. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story! :)

Julie said...

How wonderful - please continue after you get some much needed rest! I have only been through NY - never had the chance to stay a while!

Rapunzel said...

Jen, the library was unbelievable! I could have spent days wandering through there.

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, it was as wonderful as you assured me it would be! :-)

Rapunzel said...

Julie, I'm working on part 2 right now..smile..am glad I'm not boring you all too much!

Aurora said...

I like that you are a fairy tale princess too.

Nice blog, where did you find me?

Aurora

Helena S. said...

Fat Witch - what a name! :-D And Police concert and all, that must've been great. I'm a big fan of Sting myself.

Rapunzel said...

Aurora, thanks so much for stopping by the Castle! I found you through Debbie at Nourish the Soul. :-)

Rapunzel said...

Helena, you would've loved this concert if you're a Sting fan - the songs were performed much more in his solo style than how the original band did them. And read the review I linked if you have time, it references a shirtless Sting getting a shave during intermission..oh, honey! That man certainly looks fine for his age! ;-)