Friday, April 13, 2007

Cast of Characters: Part 3


Since neither of my youngest daughters have been inspired to choose a "character" for my blog (apparently the nasty business of school and work consumes them), I'll move along and come back to them later.

Ex-husband #1 and I share such a long, complicated history; it would take a novel-length post to tell our story! In a nutshell: he and Beren are best friends, have been for 35 years now. I dated Beren first, way back in the day when we were young and wild and a little bit crazy. When circumstances drove us apart, I had the good fortune to be "taken care of" by this amazing man who I went on to marry and create a child with. The marriage didn't last, but the friendship did, and it has only gotten stronger and deeper as we have co-parented and befriended each other through the years. He is a wonderful, passionate father who really opens his heart..a rare find in a man nowadays. He has been "with" me through thick and thin, the subsequent break-up of my second marriage and everything that lead up to it. Several years ago he gave me an amazing gift: he and Kali orchestrated a meeting between myself and Beren, the first time we'd laid eyes on each other in 20-something years. They had no idea what would happen, only that I still had feelings for Beren that I needed to explore further or put closure to. The rest is history, as they say, but I have the greatest admiration for this man who loved me, and his friend, enough to give us his blessing. When the rest of the world looked on in shock and disbelief at the situation, my ex-husband showed grace and dignity and acceptance. He was one of our few "cheerleaders," never losing hope that we would make it, that it would all work out. I can't speak for him, but I know that I feel completely loved by him in the most pure, sincere way, and I believe that Beren feels the same.

So, that's the condensed version of the story, and my introduction to Strider..a/ka/ Aragorn..ex-husband to me, best friend to Beren, father of Kali. He says that he chose Strider because he is heroic & chivilrous, and I think that describes him perfectly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read it... I quickly felt the familiar tingling in my shoulders and head warning me of the impending audible sobs which would soon be upon me. They did not disappoint! Had to leave the office and have a smoke in order to regain my waning composure. Once again your eloquence and insight astound me. I do aspire to be all those wonderful things you said but I fear I could spend the rest of my life trying to to live up to them. And please, out of love and respect for "my best friend", spell it B-E-R-E-N in the future!!! J.R.R. is rolling over in his grave!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Strider. I apologize for causing the surging of emotions but you know that I only speak the truth.

I can't believe I misspelled Beren's name that way! I promptly edited all of the posts affected by my transgression.

BTW, what does J.R.R. stand for? BerEn just quizzed me and of course I have no clue.

Anonymous said...

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
(1892 - 1973)

Mother of Invention said...

Wow! How lucky to have 2 such amazing men love you and you are indeed lucky to have Kali. Do you have any other children?
This is a very unique life story.

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Mother of Invention. I do indeed have other children - 2 girls from my second marriage. As soon as I figure out their "characters" I'll write about them as well.

Jojo said...

wow. My situation is very simular.
Your Strider is my Eowyn, and your Beren..my Arwen...
Complicated, I know...but so, so much love. Rapunzel, I love what you share. Your a little blessing in my life..
jojo

Rapunzel said...

Oh, Jojo, I have chills..so much love, indeed. Thank you for your sweet words, they mean so much to me! It is a thrill for me to hear that others with "unique" situations have made it a lovely, warm & wonderful success. :) Sometimes there really are happy endings!